The Best Ways to Keep Your Teeth Clean
October is more than just pumpkins and falling leaves; it is also the month dedicated to the foundation of a healthy, radiant smile—Dental Hygiene Month! At Colony Square Dental Associates, we know that a beautiful smile begins with excellent oral healthcare. Join Dr. Hochberg, Dr. Diora, and Dr. To in celebrating Dental Hygiene Month by exploring two essential tools that can help optimize your homecare routine: electric toothbrushes and water flossers.
- Power Play with Electric Toothbrushes:
The era of electric toothbrushes is here. Electric toothbrushes offer a level of precision and efficiency that manual brushing often struggles to match. Our hygienist, Karen, recommends electric toothbrushes because research shows they decrease the buildup of plaque and calculus causing gingivitis that can form in your mouth. The electric toothbrush is significantly more effective in removing plaque than a manual toothbrush. Oftentimes, when using a manual, the tendency is to use too much pressure that can contribute to damage to the tooth’s enamel or recession of the gum tissue. Electric toothbrushes are safer for the delicate gum tissue because many will stop vibrating if you are brushing too hard. Once you try an electric toothbrush, your teeth will feel so much cleaner.
Here’s why you should consider making the switch:
- Electric toothbrushes do the hard work for you. Their oscillating or rotating brush heads reach areas that manual brushing might miss, ensuring a thorough clean.
- Built-in Timers – Many electric toothbrushes come with built-in timers, ensuring that you brush for the recommended two minutes. This simple feature can significantly enhance the quality of your oral care routine.
- Gentle on Gums – Electric toothbrushes are designed to be gentle on your gums while effectively removing plaque. This makes them an excellent choice for individuals with sensitive gums or those prone to gingivitis. Some models are equipped with pressure sensors, alerting you when you are applying too much pressure.
- Effective for All Ages – From children to adults, electric toothbrushes are suitable for everyone. Some models even have kid-friendly features, making oral care a fun and educational experience for the little ones. Be sure to look for child-sized electric toothbrushes to fit their smaller mouths.
- Water Flossers: Your Smile’s Best Friend:
Flossing is a crucial step in maintaining excellent oral health, and water flossers take this essential practice to a whole new level. Our hygienist, Phyllis, is a huge fan of the Waterpik® water flosser. Phyllis has seen great results with less plaque and tartar buildup, along with healthier gum tissue. Where it is challenging to use a threaded or tape dental floss, the Waterpik® cleans under the gums, especially in between the teeth where the floss may not be going. And Waterpik® water flossers have come a long way. There are different models, based on countertop size, travel needs and even for use in the shower.
Here’s why water flossers should be incorporated into your dental hygiene routine:
- Gentle and Effective – Water flossers use a stream of water to remove plaque and debris between your teeth and along the gumline. This gentle approach is perfect for those with sensitive gums.
- Ideal for Braces and Dental Work – If you have braces, bridges, or implants, navigating traditional floss can be challenging. Water flossers offer an easy and effective solution, reaching areas that traditional floss might struggle to access.
- Reduces Gum Inflammation – Regular use of a water flosser can significantly reduce gum inflammation and promote overall gum health. It’s a game-changer for individuals prone to gingivitis.
- Versatile Cleaning Modes – Many water flossers come with different cleaning modes, allowing you to customize your flossing experience based on your needs and sensitivity levels.
This Dental Hygiene Month, embrace the power of precision in your oral homecare routine. Whether you opt for an electric toothbrush, a water flosser, or both, remember that consistency is key. Combine these advanced tools with periodic examinations, oral cancer screenings and dental hygiene care at Colony Square Dental Associates, and you’ll be on your way to a healthier, brighter smile that lasts a lifetime. Happy Dental Hygiene Month!
Comments are closed.