School is back in Session
School is back in Session | Fun Dental Facts to Intrigue Your Youngsters
School is starting next week for many counties in Georgia. Soon your children will be pouring over homework and spending their afternoons completing assignments. Dr. Hochberg and Dr. Diora have compiled a list of fun dental facts to assist with breaking up study time and providing some night-time fun. Please share these with the young ones in your life.
- In the average Americans lifetime, one usually spends almost 39 total days brushing their teeth.
- More than anything else we eat, chocolate has been proven to make us smile more.
- Your teeth are the only part of the human body that isn’t able to heal itself.
- Tooth enamel is the hardest substance in the human body and is the most highly mineralized.
- 14 million gallons of toothpaste are purchased each year in the U.S.
- A study was conducted and it was determined that approximately 48% of adolescents and millennials will or have untagged themselves from a photo on Facebook because they are unhappy with their smile.
- In North America alone, over 3 million miles of dental floss is purchased annually. This is enough to wrap the earth from top to bottom over 120 times!
- In the early 1800s, you could easily have a key made and get a haircut by the same person who just pulled your tooth! This was possible as most blacksmiths and barbers would also serve as the town dentist.
- The strongest muscle in the human body is your tongue!
- Believe it or not, there is more bacteria in a human mouth than there are people on the planet.
- 50% of Americans do not receive recommended routine oral healthcare services.
- Irene Newman was a dental assistant in the year 1905. The dentist she worked for trained her to clean teeth and she became the first ever dental hygienist.
- Did you know a sneeze releases from your mouth at over 600 miles per hour?!
- In colonial days, debtors were asked to agree to a contract of sorts to pay off their bill. In the place of a signature they would seal the agreement by leaving their dental imprint in wax.
- Children worldwide lose more than 51 million hours of school due to dental related illnesses.
Remember it is always a good idea to promote good oral hygiene at a young age. These fun dental facts can also be useful for that purpose in your home. It is a nice way to begin a conversation for a lifetime of excellent oral health.
Comments are closed.