Porcelain Inlays and Onlays
Restoring Health and Beauty
When there is damage or decay in a tooth, but sufficient healthy tooth structure remains, an inlay or onlay may be recommended. Both inlays and onlays are conservative tooth restorations, meaning they require much less drilling and preparation of the tooth to be placed.
Click the image above for an educational video on Porcelain / Ceramic Inlays & Onlays.
Inlays and onlays can be made of porcelain, gold or composite resin. In recent years, however, porcelain (ceramics) has become increasingly popular due to its strength and natural color that blends with the teeth.
Both inlays and onlays are custom-made in a lab for a perfect fit. They require two visits for completion.
Your First Appointment
- The old filling is removed along with any additional decay
- The tooth is reshaped and an impression is made
- A model of your teeth is sent to the lab
- A temporary inlay/onlay is placed on the tooth
Your Second Appointment
- The temporary inlay/onlay is removed
- A conditioning gel is placed on your tooth to prepare it for the new restoration
- Bonding agents are placed on the tooth and a high intensity light bonds the resin to the tooth
- The tooth is then polished
Your teeth are restored to a natural look and feel, they are stronger and the tooth is protected!